01 April 2013

Churchill Arms


London isn’t big but it’s crammed full of history and imagination. We saw the important things, like Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, London Tower, etc. and I did look for 221B on Baker Street. It was all great but holy lotsa people. Everywhere there are masses and queues. Those quaint English pubs are brimming. So, for me, it was fun finding the Churchill Arms in Kensington.

The pub is a mishmash of chamber pots, old photos, busts of Churchill and nick knacks galore.  Add a couple of fires, some mulled cider and a few locals and the recipe is entertaining. The Cambridge and Oxford rowing race was on TV. In his past life, Rob used to row for Wellington and of course, when he found out one of the Oxford 8 was a Kiwi, he was glued to the telly. I was more interested in a pair of old-timers arguing over who were the best team. The Oxford supporter took great delight in needling his buddy incessantly. He noticed my interest and decided I needed to understand the nuances of the race. He explained, in great and colourful detail, how many bends there are on the Thames course. He assured me that the rowers were working hard.
“Trust me” he said “rowing out there is like towing a Clysdale.” After a moment he added “I don’t suppose you know what a Clysdale is Missy?”
“If fact, I do” I replied “and I know they are big buggers!”
Reassured, he went on to explain why Oxford would definitely win which drew sarcastic mumblings from his nemesis at the bar.
In fact, Oxford did win. But not by much the nemesis assured me.
After all the mulled cider, I needed a wee break. So off I wander looking for the ladies. No help from the busy bar staff so I went to the next counter and ran into the Chinese Chef. “Excuse me” I ask ”could you tell me how to find the ladies please?” He points dramatically towards the back corners and tells me to “you go follow the daddideeels”.  Me…stunned. I do not understand Chinese. He just looks at me and loudly reiterates “follow the daddideeels”. I follow the pointed finger into the darker recesses and come across this:





Daddideeels is Chinese for Daffodils. Silly me. Got to love the POMs. Even if they are Chinese.
So, if you are ever in Kensington, pop into the Churchill Arms. And if you need to pee, well...you know where to go.
                                                                     Rob at the bar

No comments:

Post a Comment