28 April 2013

Service from an Angel


We have eaten in more places than I care to remember. I want to reminisce on servizio….the service. Most food establishments are family run and you can tell it’s often Mama running the kitchen and Zio Umberto manning the wood fired oven. Times are tough in Italy so eating places are grateful for your business and do their best to make you welcome.
One of the interesting things is that you are sat, given menus and left alone. If you are expecting an offer of a pre-dinner drink, you’ll be disappointed as eateries are for…well…food. Oh and vino but only because food and vino are made for eachother. One of the stand outs for me was ‘Il Palazzo’ at Positano. We were shown to a candle lit table in the garden near a lemon grove. Our waiter was a pure feast for the eyes. He was young and quite simply the most beautiful man I have ever seen (next to Rob). He explained that the master Chef, Sabastino, was in attendance and would be happy to cook for us. Sabastino has won ‘Il Palazzo’ a Michelin Star so I guess we were lucky and the food was sublime. Our Adonis of a waiter served us with careful professionalism.
“What is your name?” I asked him.
“I am Archangelo” he tells me.” You know, like the chief angel.”
I was being served by an Angel.
Bit by bit, we got his abbreviated life story. He lives five minutes from Pompeii on a large property with his family. He believes in organic food and the family grows all they need. He makes his own wine and olive oil.  He is so...pure.
“Where do you like to eat yourself?” asks Rob.
“At home” he replies “my Mother is the best Chef in the world. My Father believes that only two things are important. Good food and laughter. He always tells me to bring friends home who like to eat and make jokes.  I have lots of friends” he adds as he slaps his chest.
I’ll bet lots of them are female.
Archangelo was a direct contrast to my favourite pair of imps at Antico Caffe del Moro in Trastevere.  Niccolo and Vincenzo joke, poke fun and generally take the mickey out of everything.  Whilst still providing great service.
Horses for courses I suppose. I enjoyed Archangelo but the devilish imps are more my style.

Table by the lemon grove
The Imps
Rob with the ingredients of a Negroni
Vincenzo making me an Aperol Spritz (YUM)

No comments:

Post a Comment